Why is a catch-up strategy necessary to ensure that all young people who start their education can complete it? Read the post to find out.
What do we mean when we say that education and unemployment in South Africa are connected? Find out why an educational qualification matters.
How can you study for tests so that the matric exam is a breeze in the park? Tao from Foondamate shares her top tips.
Matrics ‘on the fringe’ is Youth Capital’s research brief that reviewed the Second Chance Matric Programme. This is a programme by the Department of Basic Education that enables young people to re-write their matric exam or upgrade a subject. The brief takes into consideration the experiences of second-chancers, and quantifies that, at any given year, […]
How can you register for the Second Chance Matric Programme or matric rewrite in 2022? Find out all the important information in this post
Latest research by Youth Capital and Stellenbosch University’s Research on Social and Economic Policy (ReSEP) for the first time provides evidence that at any time, 250 000 young people are working towards a matric certificate outside of the full-time schooling system; but these young people are not reported by the Department of Basic Education.
In this open letter to the 2020 matric learners, author Matome Motloutsi inspires young people to show up, do the work and sometimes take the chance to try again. “Failures don’t define us, they simply refine us”. Best of luck!
Are you nervous about waiting for your matric results? We have some tips on how to cope with stress and making a plan to re-write.
Media Statement: Our #ShiftTheDate petition and the search for clarity regarding matric 2020 re-write exams.3 February 2021
Youth Capital released a petition on Friday 29 January 2021 to call on the DBE to #ShiftTheDate for the 2020 National Senior Certificate (NSC) Matric candidates to register to re-write their final exams. We have now taken down the petition and have clarified the process of registration with an official at the Department of Basic Education. We sincerely apologise if our petition created any more confusion – our intention was to raise what we believed to be an urgent issue for young South Africans.
This post was originally created to address the deadline to register for a National Senior Certificate matric re-write, which the Youth Capital team had understood to be on 28 February 2021. After calls and emails to the Department of Basic Education, we clarified that the cutoff date for the NSC is 12 March via manual registrations; the deadline for the Senior Certificate is 28 February for online registrations and 12 March for manual registrations at a distric office.
Philippi based Ukhanyo Foundation was started in January 2019 of its founder’s commitment to support young people to reach their dreams, starting with completing their matric exam through the Second Chance Programme.
Only 37% of Grade 1 students complete Grade 12 in minimum time. What happens to the remaining 63%? Their challenges go unseen. This is why setting academic support groups can make a big difference in a student’s life. In this post, some Youth Capital Influencers will tell you what to consider when setting yours up.
In our latest Mental Health Webinar with Clinical Pshycologist and Mental Health Consultant Alexa Scher, we discussed the importance of setting a routine and managing healthy relationships during lockdown.
South Africa’s education policy has repetition constraints and progression criteria. Find out why having a catch-up strategy for progressed students is critical in supporting them for a successful education journey.
In our latest WhatsApp Webinar on Public Health, Dr Kerrin Begg shines some light on the latest development of Level 4 of South Africa’s risk-adjusted strategy. If you’re wondering about masks and the Coronavirus vaccine, this is for you!
The National Youth Policy 2030 is open for comments. In this post we breakdown the components of the NYP2030 to make sure that we all understand its objective, key focus areas and time frame and the role we play as young people in giving direction and input on how to make the policy happen.
This post is based on a WhatsApp Webinar hosted by Youth Capital’s Project Lead and Public Health Researcher Kristal Duncan-Williams with 250 young South Africans. During the webinar, Kristal explained the facts about the virus, safety measures to adopt and busted the myths around that. If you’ve been wondering on whether ‘to mask or not to mask’, this post is for you!
Youth Capital’s Project Lead Kristal Duncan-Williams engaged in a very interesting conversation with Songezo Macebe on The View Point, the evening show on SAFm.
For one million young South Africans like Lotsolatile, vocational and skills training offers young South Africans an opportunity to upgrade skills and pursue new career pathways every year.