The National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) was created to represent the interests and tackle the challenges young South Africans face. It’s critical that the Agency reflects our voices and experiences while putting forward scalable solutions.
Applications to join its board are now open, and we invite all young people to apply! This post includes important information you need when preparing your application.
What is the purpose of the board?
According to the NYDA Board Charter, the purpose of the board is to provide strategic guidance. This means retaining full control of the Agency, setting out its values, appoint the Chief Executive Officer and monitor its performance. You can read more about roles and duties in the Charter.
How many members are part of the board and how long is the term?
The board includes 7 members for a term of 3 years.
What are the criteria for applicants?
According to Section 3 of the NYDA Act, there are essential and desirable criteria:
Essential Criteria include the following:
- Proven experience contributing to the leadership and strategic direction of a complex organisation
- Personal credibility and integrity to command the confidence in the youth of the country
- Ability to lead and to engage effectively with diverse and high profile stakeholders
- Track record in understanding and previous involvement in youth development matters
- A candidate should have played a meaningful role in youth development in society
- A candidate should be someone of reliability, integrity and independence.
Desirable criteria include the following:
- Experience or training in governance in the private, public and non-government sectors
- Experience or training in government system
- Experience or training in finance
- Experience or training in auditing
- Experience or training in dealing with credit risk
- Experience or training in human resources management
- Experience or training in policy, research and development
- Experience or training in legal skills.
You can read more about the criteria here.
How do I apply?
You can either apply or nominate someone else to serve on the board.
Nominations and applications must contain the full name and address of the person/organisation making the nomination, a signed acceptance (in case of a nomination) and the Curriculum Vitae providing the following details:
- Full name, ID number and gender
- Address and telephone and fax numbers (where applicable)
- Previous experience, quoting dates and organisation concerned; and
- Recently certified academic qualifications.
Email your applications to by no later than Friday, 9th April 2021 at 16:00. For physical delivery, you can submit it to Ms. Neliswa Nobatana, the Committee Secretary and addressed to the Subcommittee of the Portfolio Committee on Women, Youth and Persons with Disabilities and the Select Committee of Health and Social Services: Appointment of Board Members to the National Youth Development Agency, P.O Box 15, Parliament, Cape Town 8000.
Are you applying?
We think you should! If you do, complete the form below.